Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Barackin' in Burundi!

On Saturday morning, I went with the FSU crew to Burundi. I had no idea what to expect, but I was told it was like Rwanda was thirty years ago. Bujumbura is much poorer and much dirtier than Kigali. However, it definitely has its perks. We ate so well! We had the best Chinese food, delicious pizzas, ice cream, fresh croissants and pastries, and decent wine! I was so happy for this change because I have literally had the same meal for the past three weeks. And even though we were very close to the only mizungus (white people) in the whole country, we were not stared at nearly as much. It was refreshing to be able to walk around without having masses of people stare you down and shout "Mizungu!" I am not sure what you picture as "Burundi," but google "lake tanganyika" and, hopefully, you will find some pictures of where we spent our days. We basked in the warm sun one of the most beautiful beaches I have seen. If I could upload pictures, you would swear it was Hawaii! It was a great weekend and, definitely, worth the six hour bus ride to get there! Two countries down in Africa! Where will I go next?

2 comments:

  1. So I should have probably said why I titled it Barackin' in Burundi, other than the obvious fact that I love alliteration. In all of Africa, they love some Obama. In Kigali, there is a mini mart called the Obama Mart. But in Burundi, they sold this gum (literally, everywhere) called Magic Obama Gum. I bought a big box so I can bring some to everyone! :) Also, they had posters that said "Black Blood Takes Over!" with a beautiful face of Obama in the middle. Isn't that great!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat! Glad you had fun! Sounds dreamy almost! Can't wait for you to meet Rosy!

    ReplyDelete