Sunday, July 12, 2009

Almost Home

I leave in just one short day. While I love Rwanda and my Rwandan family and I will cry terribly when I leave, I am finally excited to come home. I miss my family, my friends, my cat (of course), and all the comforts of home. I look forward to sleeping in my own bed, eating something other than rice, taking hot showers, wearing clean clothes, having clean feet, using my electric toothbrush, swimming in the pool, exercising, riding my bike, and driving my car.

But even as I write this, I think of all the things I will miss, and I am getting teary-eyed! I will miss my family that I am staying with so much. They have been so kind and really welcomed me into their home. I will miss the children, Angela, Angeline, and Padou. I will miss the fresh fruit. I will miss the friends I've made here. I will miss the thousand hills. I will miss the feeling you get after you wash your hair for the first time in a week. And, yes, I will even miss the food...just maybe not right away.

I will definitely have to come back to Rwanda! This has been a great trip and a wonderful experience. I'll be back in Auburn on Wednesday evening (just in time to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince)!

No comments:

Post a Comment