Friday, June 26, 2009

In loving memory of Michael Jackson...

As I sat in the empty waiting room of a small doctors' office in downtown Kigali, waiting to receive a magical drug to cure my stomach pains, a nurse flipped on the television. The room was instantly filled with the sorrowful news that our dear iconic legend, Michael Jackson, was dead. Suddenly, my stomach pains grew as I began to mourn the loss of the greatest pop star of all time. Nurses were abuzz with the news in Kinyarwanda, but I could see the sadness etched across their faces as they said, "Jackson? Michael!?" Yes, even here in the heart of Africa, we are feeling the shock of losing such a talented man. Of course, we can all agree that MJ was a very unique character. At times, we may have even questioned said character, but, all in all, I think we can agree that Michael Jackson had superior talent and will be remembered warmly for generations and generations to come. Rest in Peace, Michael!

That being said, I can give you a bit of an update on my life. I did get my magical drugs and am recovering quite well. However, there has been quite the turn of events! I no longer have a job. Yes, well this is Africa, and things are different here so I am just going with the flow, but my school is testing beginning on Monday. They just told me today, and the testing will last two weeks...and I have two weeks left. Fancy that! I have no idea what I will be doing the remainder of my trip, but I will let you know as soon as I do! I will make sure it is exciting!

1 comment: