Friday, April 30, 2010

The Land of the Hobbits and Fairies

This past weekend, my roommates and I embarked on our very last adventure in South Africa. We traveled four hours north to Hogsback. This little town actually helped JRR Tolkein think up The Lord of the Rings. He visited Hogsback as a child and was inspired by the mountains, forests, and, I suppose, the fairies.

Everyone warned us that Hogsback was a little bit strange. They told us the people there were a little on the odd side. A town fit for me, hey? The first person I met was named Happy. He tried to sell me two hog figurines and some magic mushrooms. I bought the hogs.

We spent the weekend hiking, taking pictures with fairies, walking and meditating in a labyrinth, visiting and eco-shrine, etc. It's really all too hard to describe without pictures! Perhaps, I can post some when I return to the States. I will be back in about a week and a half!

I will be very sad to leave my school and my students, but I feel that I've had many good adventures in South Africa. I'm ready for my next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment