Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Cape Town Holiday

Hello, all! We've just returned from our two week holiday to Cape Town. We took the Garden Route down and stopped along the way for a bit of adventure. We spent five nights in Cape Town and then ventured slowly back to our home in Port Elizabeth. It is far too much for me to write about each of the wonderful things that we did so I will simply give you the highlights.

On the way to Cape Town, we stopped in Knysna where Trudy (my roommate) and I stayed in the largest Rastafarian community in the country. Judah Square is located in the heart of Knysna's largest township. Everyone who lives there has an absolute heart of gold, and they welcomed us into their homes and families. We spent hours playing with the children in the small schoolhouse that one of the sisters started. It has 45 children from the township and only two teachers. One of the brothers was so kind to show us his prized garden with plants far taller than me. (I'll show you pictures if you like, but I must not post them.) What an experience!

We also stopped along the way to have wonderful wildlife interactions: petting cheetahs, getting cozy with caracals, riding elephants, attempting to balance on ostriches...you know, normal African things.

However, my absolute favorite activity was Great White Shark cage diving. This was perhaps the coolest thing I've ever done in my life. We were so lucky because the sharks quickly responded to the bait and chum and began swarming our boat within 30 minutes. We saw eight great whites in total and the largest was a mere eleven feet in length. While I was in the cage, I got to watch the playful sharks swim just inches in front of my face. It got even more exciting when the came directly at my face and I had to remind myself to pull my fingers in while they bit at the bars of my cage! One bit the cage a bit too hard and lost a tooth (no, I didn't get the tooth or I would have lost an arm!). I highly recommend this activity to anyone who ever gets the opportunity. Shark week will never be the same!

Cape Town was great! It's a beautiful city with gorgeous mountains and a stunning coastline. We climbed to the top of Lion's Head and watched the sun set over the ocean and the city. Unfortunately, our trips to Table Mountain and Robben Island were canceled due to the fierce winds. (Guess I'll have to come back!)

On the way home, we stopped at Cango Caves in Outdshoorn. Never in my life have I been through caves like these! The flyer warned the excursion was for lean people only--but there were tunnels you had to turn sideways to squeeze through (Tunnel of Love)! (A couple of years ago, a curvy lady got stuck for 11 hours and they had to rub oils on her to get her out!) One tunnel required us to slide down face first (the Post Box, also know as the Rebirthing Chamber). Another, called Devil's Chimney, had us shimmying our way UP 12 feet! I loved these caves, but I will say there were hardly enough bats for my taste.

All in all, we had a great holiday. Now I'm back in school for the last four weeks of my South African adventure. I will be spending the rest of my time in a Grade 2 class. I'm excited to be with even younger kids and learn a bit more!

Miss everyone madly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment