Thursday, January 21, 2010

Port Elizabeth

Hello, my wonderful family & friends! I appologise for not posting earlier, but, yes, I have made it safely to my new home. Port Elizabeth is a beautiful city, and I live just a short walk from the warm, though windy, beach with the deep blue waters of the Indian Ocean. I live in a home with I believe a total of 15 people though not everyone has arrived yet. There are also 3 dogs and one squawky parrot. But before you get worried about my jampacked quarters, you must realise that there is the main house and two flats. My flat only has six girls in it, and I share a room with Margot. Yes, we are packed like sardines, but I actually like that. I never get the chance to feel homesick because there is always something going on and someone to talk to.

Jeanine, my host mom, is a certified chef! I was worried before I came to this meat-loving society that I might have to fend for myself and live off rice and beans for four months. However, Jeanine has catered to me every night. She has even experimented with soy-based "meats"!

I have been placed in a 3rd grade classroom at Herbert Hurd Primary. I love it! However, it is so very different than a classroom in the States. The schools here are very strict. Although my teacher is very kind, she constantly yells at the students. They seem to have little room for creativity and personal expression. And, as I expected, the teachers tell the students what they should know, rather than allowing them to explore on their own and construct their own knowledge. It seems that they are very behind the average American 3rd graders; however, perhaps my perspective will change as I spend more time here.

My school is also a public school. I was surprised to learn this because my students wear uniforms, and it is a Christian school. How is this possible? Well, apparently, there are very few public schools where students do not pay--those are mostly in the townships. After apartheid, there was a flood of children coming to school. To maintain proper education with a decent teacher to student ration, the schools began to charge tuition. Parents can choose where to send their students, but some schools are far more expensive than others.

Another thing I am adjusting to is the spelling and words they use here. I have learned so many fun words! My students will speak to me, and I often have no idea what they are talking about, but I am learning. Tackies are sneakers. Rubbers are erasers. Robots are traffic lights. Full stops are periods. Costumes are bathing suits. Wind-ups or gems are crayons (wind-ups being twistables!). Pritt is glue. Croakies are markers. There are so many more, and I will post them as I learn them. I love it! I plan to come back with a poor SA accent and tossing around phrases like, "Oh, la, I forgot my costume!" and "I like wind-ups much better than croakies." I know, you can't wait!

I have yet to have too many adventures yet, but we plan to travel each weekend. This weekend, we are going to Jeffrey's Bay to experience some amazing surfing! Well, it may end up being a disaster with me on a surfboard, but it should be fun nonetheless!

I miss and love you all!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're not starving!! Haha It sounds like you are having quite an adventure... I miss you lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete