Thursday, February 25, 2010

It's Nice to be Liked

Despite the fact that I find myself using my "teacher voice" more than I ever thought possible, my kids actually like me. I know that isn't the point of teaching, but any teacher will freely admit that it's nice to be liked.

On Valentine's Day, many of my students brought be goodies and notes. On random days, I'll receive other little gifts, such as muffins or sweets. One student even gave me a beautiful piece of rose quartz "to remember her and the class by" when I leave. Everyday, students from my class and the classes I've subbed in chase me for hugs. However, it wasn't until the other day that I received the best compliment of all.

One of my boys (we'll call him Caleb), shouted across the nearly empty room, "Miss Macintire, why don't you have a boyfriend?" I am not even sure how he knew that I was single, but I just laughed and humored him by replying, "I'm not sure, Caleb. It must be because I'm all the way in South Africa."

A few minutes later, Caleb came up to me and said, "My parents are divorced because they argued too much. And my mom lives ALL the way in Capetown." I wasn't sure why he was telling me this, but I told him that it's sad when parents divorce. I told him my parents were divorced too--sometimes that happens. I pointed out that it was nice he got to spend a lot of time with his dad--just the boys! I thought the was the end...

After the bell rang to let school out, he came up to me with his hands pressed against his mouth. "What's up, Caleb?" I asked. He was obviously embarrassed by what he wanted to say. "My dad..." he tried to suppress his nervous laughter. "My dad is really nice!" He quickly scurried out of the room as I started to piece this all together. But surely it was my imagination.

After I walked the class outside and I was giving my final hugs for the day, he came up to me again. "Miss Macintire, my dad told me to tell you that he kind of likes you." I tried so hard not to laugh! Now I am absolutely sure that this dad said nothing of the sort since I have never met or seen him. However, how flattered am I that my student wants me to be his new mom! Like I said--best compliment of all! However, it may be slightly awkward when I meet his dad in a couple of weeks at Parent Night.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Becky! This is Lynne at First Pres in Opelika. How are you doing? I'm so excited to see what you're doing. Wow, you are really learning a lot there! Lions and elephants - your mom should be thrilled to know all that you're learning about animals! And I know the kids love you - you are most definitely a teacher and are using the gifts God gave you! I am so proud of you! Keep lots of notes and photos so I can see those when you get back. I will keep you in my prayers, that God will keep you safe and hold you in His care. Much love and lots of hugs, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the sweetest thing! The kids touch your heart in so many ways...one of the absolute BEST perks of teaching! Please let's plan a time to chat this week - I miss you SO much!

    Mags

    ReplyDelete